Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Day on the Water

Despite the gale warnings, the ferry was on schedule.


The view of North Sydney Harbour from our cabin window. Looks calm enough. We booked a cabin even for the day crossing - I fully took advantage of having a place to lay my weary head and slept for most of the journey. Thank you Gravol!


A weak attempt to capture the waves, which were, as predicted, about 3-4 meters. The ferry, being much larger, mostly shimmied and swayed but occasionally slammed. Have I mentioned? Thank you, Gravol!


The most beautiful sight - the barren rocks of Port aux Basques come into view. I saw that Hannah shared my sense of relief. It isn't so much about simply getting off the boat because being on the boat is never as terrible as I imagine it will be and always ends up being, dare I say it, fun. No, there is just something about being back on the island. It definitely makes me wonder why I ever left.

1 comment:

Taos Sunflower said...

Sigh. I envy you. I have two wonderful homes in my life, too, but the longing for more adventure never leaves. I hope one day to take that ferry also. Thanks for sharing it.