Friday, September 23, 2011

Media Darling

Now this is a vending machine!

We did another documentation run today and it worked out a lot better.  I made a much better video and someone else took still shots.  I should have copies of the photos to share soon.  I will have to wait until I am back in NYC to work on the video.

After we did the whole run - a trip that takes a good 20 minutes with stop lights - we went back to the  end of the Avenue (and beginning of the piece) to meet up with another TV producer.  It was my third appearance on Korean television: this time for a morning program.  I have quickly learned to stand silently aside while everyone else works out the details and wait for someone to tell me what to say.  Usually they only want one sentence or thought, as long as it can be said in "15 seconds".  No wordy preambles here.  It is actually incredibly simple because I don't have to come up with any kind of insight about the project - I just say exactly what they tell me to say and then it is over.

Today was a little more complicated.  They wanted me to be "knitting" (I was really crocheting) and then look up, notice the camera man, wave him over and then say, "I will make a square for Good Morning Tahemingo"  I am not sure about that last word but that's what it sounded like to me and that is what I said and no one laughed or made me do it over, so it must be at least slightly correct.

We did a bunch of other shots where I pretended to adjust a square and say things like, "I want to warmly welcome the people of Cheongju to the Craft Biennale!"  And then, we found a square that was vaguely the same colour as the yarn I had been crocheting and I offered it to the camera and to "Good Morning Tahemingo and the Cheongju Craft Biennale!  I wish you every success!"

And now, the terrible confession.....the square I offered up, the one I supposedly had just finished from my previous crochet shot, was actually knit.  

I know, I know!  I am part of the problem, not the solution.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

love it!
you are becoming so politely korean...

Xxx. Xxxx said...

Some knitting ambassador you are! ;)

Is this like when captors make their foreign captives record video confessions? Only politely so...

Sounds like you are having a fabulous time! Well done!

Sonya Philip said...

Just a teeny continuity problem, that's all :)