Wednesday, August 20, 2008

We're All Mighty Grateful

There is a very funny Bob and Ray routine that is called (I think) "Just Plain Fancy Dan" in which one of them plays a barber and one a local townsperson named "Pliney" who keeps telling his barber how he is "mighty grateful". The barber keeps asking him if he is grateful and it goes on and on (I couldn't find a clip of it online) until the barber accidently cuts Pliney and he begins to bleed to death, all the while saying "we're all mighty grateful."

Yes, I guess that's exactly how I feel right now.

Actually, what happened was that I spent the day getting deeper and deeper into an ugly mood of self-pity and bitter resentment to the point where I was ready to burst into tears if anyone looked my way. And then it was time for yoga class! Now it can be told that, in fact, I was the leader of the yoga class ("teacher" might be too generous a word). So I had to get my act together and set a good example of breathing into the tension, etc.. You know what happened? The yoga actually worked. By the time we reached the meditation part, I could see clearly that my so-called problems were in fact a case of overflowing blessings. I was taking my enormous privilege and twisting it all upside down. I wanted to laugh out loud. And then I felt a bit foolish for all the whining I have been doing - my apologies!

The yoga class ended and one member of the class brought celebratory cookies,



and then we posed for a picture.



When I got home, I took another look at the yarn I spun this afternoon - you know, just to take the edge off.

What? Did you think I would be handling all that fleece and not take a little tipple?





Whoa! Now I am laughing out loud!

No comments: