Wednesday, September 24, 2008

More and more

To follow up on the previous entry about the police in the East Village, I wanted to clarify that I expressed surprise that the police felt ok about physically abusing a middle aged, middle class, white guy, it was not because I thought it is ok to abuse people who are not white, or not middle class and highly educated. I don't think being poor or anything else is a good enough reason to be harassed by the police. In fact, my surprise was that the police felt comfortable enough with their powers (real or perceived) that they are now attacking not just people who have been traditionally disenfranchised but people who have access to lawyers and the media and the knowledge of how to use these resources. To me that is the trickle down effect from our federal policies that have encouraged aggressive behavior on the part of the police while also removing rights for citizens who seek recourse from such abuses.

But on to a cheerier topic...

Regarding the pencil cozy project, it looks like they want to go with the BIG one whereby I make a cozy for a water tower. Is that a cheerier topic? I am not so sure! It means that I need to assemble a crew of people to help crochet this thing and enough yarn. There isn't much time to do either, let alone to actually make this thing. I am thinking treble crochet in the fattest yarn I can find. What do you think?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! you go girl...

bluebird of paradise said...

Robin
I am so sorry for what happened to your friends. I agree with your assessment. This is a trickle down effect of our troubled times. Abuse of power in a very concrete way. I hope they sue for false arrest.