Monday, March 02, 2009

I (Heart) NY

When the alarm went off at 5 am this morning, I was a little dismayed to see quite so much snow on the ground. Normally, I would be rejoicing but this morning, it was nothing but trouble. Fortunately, by the time I had finished my early morning activities (I am trying to up my zazen time to somewhat informally participate in the spring ango), the avenue had been plowed and the snow had slowed a bit. By 7 am, it was not impossible to imagine driving a carload of handknit city into Manhattan.

Then, we did more than just imagine it, we did it.

We were met by the lovely Patty, the Lion Brand Studio manager, her assistant, Michelle, and two people from the Martha Stewart show. They were filming the de-installation of the old window display and the installation of the new one. I was much relieved to know that it was just image gathering for the real visit from Martha to happen later this week. I may or may not be left on the cutting room floor, which is something of a relief. To be sure, it is not all modesty and humility that makes me wish to be left out of the picture. I have real issues about using that particular venue as a promotion for my work. I know this window display is a commercial job but I addressed it like I would any other project. How could I not? But working with a yarn company that has been generous and supportive of my work and holds an ethic and vision that seems good for people and the environment (they are making more organic and recycled products, their shop is green architecture...), is one thing. Shilling my work on Martha Stewart is quite another (to whom? and why?).

But enough about Martha! To the window!

I had a moment of panic as I realized that the whole thing needed to be lifted up about 10" in order for it to be visible from the street to its best advantage.



Trying not to panic, I managed to quickly create a platform from some cardboard boxes and two pieces of fibre board that were left over from the previous window. Fortunately, I had brought along extra materials that covered the boxes and make it look intentional. Actually, it made it better since it meant the East River really sits below the FDR Drive.



But that moment when my stomach sank and fear began to creep in...would any project be complete without it?

The ground was laid. The East River filled in (and seagulls added).



The FDR Drive was installed (with taxis and a garbage truck). Then, the buildings were added. An executive decision was made that we would not slavishly follow actual geography so as to better feature the most prominent, well-known buildings, which was wise.

Pigeons and squirrels took up residence...



and flowers began to bloom.

It's a lovely day in the neighborhood!





Come on by and check it out: Lion Brand Yarn Studio, 34 West 15th Street (between 5th/6th Aves.)

8 comments:

James said...

Rats!

Sorry we missed your installation, by what looks like a day.

The old one was lovely, although...

Unknown said...

It's incredible..

the chrysler building is thing of beauty!

King kong, the mayor, everything.. just wonderful

and remember, all the great artist of the past were beholding to the local lord or prince, or to the church, or king... artist everywhere and at all times had to please the payer as they they played their pipes.
today princes and kings, and cardinals and popes are CEO's.

today we remember michaelangelo--(and just what pope was it that commissioned the sistine chapel? who remembers? who cares? The art survives--the sponcer is forgotten.

Unknown said...

oh you must be so incredibly relieved that it's over. and it looks just fine and the details in the empire states building and the chrysler building are striking!well done girl!

LICraftgal said...

Oh I wish I could have been there!!! But it looks wonderful in the pictures and I am planning on getting in to see this!!!

dorinalouise said...

i was wondering if things were going to be postponed because of the weather! but no! hooray, another beautiful art project for nyc . . we can't wait to see it!

Rilla Marshall said...

it looks amazing Robyn!!! I wish I could see it in person....
xo rilla

Brenda Stratton said...

...and you knitted the Chrysler Building...how fantastic is that! Looking forward to seeing you again this summer.

doraoh said...

Awesome Robybn! Can't wait to go see it live. I understand about "selling out" and all, but people seeing what you do on Martha will help spread the word about good things -- we need that!