Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sending Out Some New Brunswick Love

Each year when we drive from New York to Newfoundland, we remind ourselves how nice it is in New Brunswick. Unlike its eastern neighbor, New Brunswick isn't full of "we got what you want" attitude. It is a modest province, which is saying a lot in a country that prides itself on its modesty.

As we drove from Fredericton, New Brunswick, to Quebec City, I was working under the delusion that it was only a 3.5 hour drive (um, double that and you are closer to reality). With that in mind, when I saw a roadside sign for a local museum, my first thought was that we must stop because we have plenty of time and, indeed, don't want to arrive too early. As it turned out that was a little optimistic, but since we were still flush with young love for dear New Brunswick, we stopped.

And can you blame us? For we stopped here:



Yes, Potato World. If not the world's only museum dedicated to the potato, I would venture to say it is the world's only bilingual museum dedicated to the potato.



I justified it further by telling the kids that I had specified on our IHIPs (Individualized Home Instruction Plans - as required of all homeschoolers by New York State) that we would include a study of New Brunswick potatoes in our curriculum. I was lying on that point, but now I can include it in our quarterly report. File under...biology? We can work out those details later. In the meantime...


Perhaps the highpoint, after the Pantheon du Monde of potato heros that lined the walls as you exited the museum, were these two:



Tony Oursler, eat your heart out!

2 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

This is where my ancestors are from New Denmark, New Brunswick. I love that you say nice things about my homeland.

Robyn said...

Hi Marilee! I was thinking of you - wondering if any of these places were where you grew up. I do love New Brunswick - nothing too flashy, just really nice. XOX