Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Knitting and Swordplay

I want to say I have been making lace my beee-atch but that is so awful and misogynist that I can't quite bring myself to do it. Except that I thought it and, well, I did just do it, didn't I?


Helen warns me that some lace is, in fact, difficult. I know this all too well but my plan is to stick with this pattern for the rest of my natural life so I should be okay.


Lucy claimed this one even before it left the needles. It was knit in a skein of handspun - I should say spindle spun by Naturally Spun. When I bought it over a year ago, I knew I wanted to make a lacy cowl with it. I also knew that it would mean overcoming my deep fear of lace. So, this makes me very happy. I might even make one more. You will be begging me to stop with lace cowls already. Well, tough for you. I am casting on as soon as I finish this blog post.


Here is Ms. Lucy in her cowl and her hat made from the most gorgeous yarn ever spun and then given away as a gift. Thank you Sono! Do you think we have enough colour and pattern in our lives?

And just so Finn isn't overlooked (although he doesn't seem to be collecting quite so many of my handmade items). Here is a short video he made last night while we were at Knit Night. Forgive me Finn for all the times I said you were just sitting around doing nothing. Obviously you have been hard at work.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful!
love the lace.
Love you've mastered it (or mastered at least this pattern)

You will find other patterns (and master them) and then lace will just be lace--

you will have changed.
(it's very zen, don't you know?)
But lace is a very wonderful, beautiful way to change isn't?

it is, in the end very simple.

Have you thought of getting Finn lessons/training in sword play? he's been at it for a while- we could have a budding sword master in our midsts.

Taos Sunflower said...

Great cowl and model alike. I really love how the colors moved in it. You're inspiring me to try some more lace. Thanks for that.