Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Snowiest Earth Hour

This is our third day straight of snow. The past two days, the snow has fallen, or perhaps I should say "fallen", horizontally. The view out the window was grey with white horizontal stripes. This morning, the snow is falling vertically and slowly and peacefully. I think that means it is starting to wear itself out. Our little cherry tree sapling is half-buried again.

Our dear friend invited us to her house for an Earth Hour party last night. As the day progressed, I began to get more and more skeptical about getting there, despite the fact she is a 5 minute drive away. By evening, I called and canceled. I could hear a touch of scorn in her voice. Wimpy mainlander! Fine, I was ready to accept that label rather than attempt to drive through drifts and with visibility of about 10 feet. Call me whatever you want, as long as I can stay next to my woodstove rather than be in a ditch on the side of the road!

Then Lucy said, "But now she is all alone and she prepared all the food." Guilt: it's what for after-supper. So we piled into the car and barely made it there, with me the whole time saying, "This is the craziest thing I have ever done!"

I made Finn run out to her house and tell her we were turning around right now and going back home. And that's what we did, grateful to be back in one piece. A half-hour later, she appeared with her husband and bags of food in tow (she has a 4-wheel drive vehicle, btw).

We had our Earth Hour party after all.

2 comments:

Newfoundland Fibre Artist said...

Same weather this way...I had a quiet at home earth hour....that extended all evening...I never have many if any lights on...my husbanc says I'm LIKE a bat :-)

Glad you got your party after all.
My spindle still has not arrived :-(

Jan Morrison said...

I was on a writing retreat at Elizabeth Bishop House and totally forgot it was Earth Day. I couldn't have turned off the electricity anywhoo because it was DAMN cold there and no back up heating source like I have at home. Ah well, I'm always so disappointed when I realize I'm the only one in the 'hood to turn everything off. dang.
my writing retreat was good though and I spent three days without internet which was surprizingly weird!