Monday, September 27, 2010

Mas Paz Para El Mundo Y Amor

World Maker Faire 2010, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Sunday.

It seemed slightly unbelievable that we were going back for another day, but we did. This time I had company.



If anything, Sunday was even busier. The weather was cooler and people were more willing to linger. Here are more messages to the universe that caught my eye:


This one was by a little girl whose mother asked her what her message would be - love, friendship, peace. The girl just shook her head and got to work drawing. Her message to universe? Potatoes.














And so can you.


By afternoon, people were willing to sit down and knit or crochet. Several new squares were created in the last couple of hours.


This lovely woman was a very speedy knitter and figured out how to attach her message very cleverly. And I especially loved her because a very rambunctious little girl asked me to teach her to knit at about 5 p.m. on Sunday. It was about at that time that I began to ever so slightly check out - I felt I had used up just about every last reserve of outward energy. I looked at that cute little girl and tried to meet her but it just wasn't happening. I knew she really didn't have the patience to learn to knit just then and I didn't have the patience to pretend to show her. This woman stepped in and volunteered to show her. I was so grateful!





Now the piece and extra squares are all back with Lion Brand Yarns to be made into blankets for Warm Up America. The messages? I saved them and plan to put them together into book. I think I have more than 400 in total, and each one tells a story.

10 comments:

urban muser said...

i am happy to see there were so many people willing to write the messages. some of them are really great, i am glad you are saving them. awesome project, i hope you are pleased with the outcome.

Robyn said...

Reading through all the messages this morning, I can't get over how many are so, so great! I am very pleased with the outcome - I honestly never imagined it would be so amazing.

Thanks again for all your support! It was great to see you (and meet your husband) on Saturday.

Robyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rilla Marshall said...

WOW. I would love to stumble upon this site in my city. Good work Robyn - I hope you get to take a few days off from any fibre activity now....

Unknown said...

in the beginning was the word....

there is something powerful about articulating our wishes. The universe is a better place for this project. I am a better person for being part of this project. the universe is a better place because of this project.

thank you again--for all your work, and for the opportunity to be part of its.

hilary said...

Robyn, the rocket looked fantastic! Thanks for these photos that show how it looked later in the Faire. I've blogged about it here:
http://www.apparently.org/blogger/2010/09/maker-faire-in-brief-part-one.html

Unknown said...

Sorry I didn't get a chance to see it while it was hanging. Life got in the way. So happy it came together so beautifully!!

Robyn said...

Thanks Hilary for the link! And from what little I actually got to see of the MF, I agree, the craft sections really stood out.

Xxx. Xxxx said...

Amazing Robyn!

Taos Sunflower said...

You do the most amazing things, Robyn. I love that the squares will go into blankets next...and look forward to hearing more about the book.