Saturday, September 25, 2010

When Is A Phallic Symbol Not A Phallic Symbol?

When this happens...


The first time I actually saw the piece all stretched out. I made it in my wee living room, stacking each row of squares on top of the one before so I really had no idea how large it was.


Helen came by and helped pin messages on the upper reaches before the piece was lifted up. She also came up with a couple of inventive solutions to installation challenges so it was good she was there. Although she did talk a lot. (She knows, so I can say that.)


Oliver was my assistant and #1 installer. He did a fantastic job and moved that scissor lift with a subtle and smooth hand. Thank you Oliver!




The full monty.






Even from behind, it looks good.

Today and tomorrow, I will be at Maker Faire encouraging passers-by to send a message to the universe. I have 500 pins and as many cards for writing messages. I hope I use them all. I suspect I will - they are expecting 25,000 people to attend.

May I offer a HUGE thank you to all who contributed. Special thanks to Lion Brand Yarns for their generosity with yarn and staff time, especially to David Blumenthal, the CEO of Lion Brand. He has been called the Tony Soprano of the knitting world and I think it is true! I have never been able to say no to any of his requests.

Also special thanks go to Betty Chen, Katie Dugdale O'Sullivan, Brece Honeycutt, Helen Griffin, Lucy Love, and Christy of Urbanmuser. And of course, Dan, who was my yarn mule - carrying skeins in to his office and collecting finished squares and bringing them back later. They all went far beyond the call of duty to help make this happen.

Now, let the games begin!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

i have a bunch of photos of the naked rocket, (and forever, after this it will be thought of a naked, sans the yarn bombing)... and the empty fair groungs.

I love your photos.. and i can't wait to see it again today.. in its full glory, with all its admirers.

Unknown said...

like flames robyn. there's the energy. now, come to newfoundland... xxx

urban muser said...

i almost didn't come here to look at the post b/c i wanted to wait to see it in person later. but alas, i couldn't hold back so here i am. it looks great--i love the flame action and i can't wait to see it live later today!

Moe said...

So neat! Its great to see it all come together :)

Xxx. Xxxx said...

Absolutely fabulous!! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for letting me be a part of such a wonderful project and satisfying my knitting and crocheting addiction without having to spend any money. The colors were so pretty too. Congratulations!

Taos Sunflower said...

Awesome, Robyn.