Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Your Messages, Please

We had our first knit night at Lion Brand last night. It wasn't a huge crowd but fairly respectable and I had a stack of squares and promises for more by Wednesday at the end of the evening. I am hoping that tonight will be a little larger but I have no idea if anyone will show up.

As an aside, we have been reading the Vimalakirti Sutra as part of the fall Ango training, and one strong message coming from it is to move forward as if enlightened. Not "fake it 'til you make it", as one student suggested, but to really be filled with intention and practice even when everything is telling you to do otherwise.

I see a version of this process happening in nearly every one of my projects. The outcome is unknown: will anyone show up? will anyone participate? will the piece fit the site? will it be a confirmed disaster? a stunning success?

I have no idea.

And so, moving forward, I am asking everyone reading this blog to send me your message to the universe. You don't need to make a square to have a message! You don't have to ever have read this blog before! You don't ever need to read it again! Just send me your message to the universe.

People who have been so generous in making squares have largely overlooked the message part of the project, I suspect because they are busy making squares, so I find myself with only about a half-dozen messages and hundreds of squares.

You can post your message as a comment here, or if you feel shy or have issues with blogger (and you won't be the first), then email me your message at thehousemuseum(at)gmail.com. I will print it out and pin it on a square.

And if you can, come tonight to Lion Brand Yarns, 34 West 15th Street, 7th floor, 6 - 8 p.m. and make a square or two. All materials are provided and there are snacks too.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

simple

Taos Sunflower said...

Tolerance

Unknown said...

i have knit messages into all my blocks--and yet many of them look blank--My messages don't (won't) interfere with added messages!

Unknown said...

MAKE THEM FLOAT

Xxx. Xxxx said...

Could you maybe stop raining crap on some of my friends, if indeed you are the one raining the crap? Thnx.

p.s. message for universe, not so much you, love! ;)