Friday, September 03, 2010

Drill Baby Drill


Here is an image of my piece from the exhibition Drill Baby Drill, now on view at Gowanus Edge, 123 Fifth Avenue, Brooklyn.

I have to go back to get better quality images (this one was taken with the phone of one of the organizers, Elizabeth Whalley), but I think it conveys the message well enough.

After two days of uncertainty regarding the Maker Faire project due to technical issues, all is full speed ahead. I had a moment of panic but then realized, every project has these moments. I identified the elements that were most important to maintain and then there was compromise. I think, when working with lots of people and institutions, it is critical not to get fixed on one idea. I know this flies in the face of how artists are supposed to be - our ideas are like precious jewels to be guarded at all costs - but, for me, the process of changing, of things not working and things working, is as much the art as the finished product.

Speaking of process and things not working, I am off to the Ango opening sesshin at Zen Mountain Monastery. Just a quickie - until Sunday. And then, yes, it is full speed ahead.

2 comments:

Xxx. Xxxx said...

You are getting 6' of crocheting from me, and I think I talked Peg into a foot of knitting. :) Fear not!

Also, your tea towels rock! I love the piece with a passion.

Taos Sunflower said...

Your piece is awesome, Robyn. You rock. Thanks for speaking for all of us.