Saturday, March 01, 2008

Odds and Ends

Firstly, here is what we saw in Montgomery, Alabama:



Springtime! We discovered a large playground in "Old Alabama Town" and F&L ran around, estatic to be free of the backseat of the car. I wandered around enjoying the old houses, the singing birds and the warmth on my hair. And then, one thought began to loom large: August. 70F/20C is all well and good in February but it comes at a cost. Pay me now or pay me later, as they say.

I think I prefer 70F/20C in August, come what may in February.

Then, these arrived yesterday:







They are from Peace Fleece, a group in Maine that tries to create connections between traditional enemies through fleece and other knitterly items. These wooden buttons were handpainted in Russia. If you order a certain amount from them, they offer you wholesale price, which makes things quite reasonable especially if you go in on it with a friend, which is what I did. Aren't they just so darn pretty? I have no idea what I will use them for except to look at them and feel happy.

And lastly, my reward knitting;



The Texas-bought Manos del Uruguay knit up into Fetching with some modifications made only because I had to shut down my computer for the roadtrip and hadn't bothered to write down the instructions beforehand so I found myself winging it for the thumb hole part. I love them not only for their incredible colours and soft warmness but for the fact of the purl stitches, the use of double pointed needles and the cable crosses. Look Ma! No garter stitch!

No comments: