Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Grinder Sutra - The T- Shirt

The clamouring was getting deafening. Literally hundreds of you...I mean dozens of you...I mean...well...I thought it would be great to make an official t-shirt for the movie-that-may-never-be-made, Grinder Sutra.


Grinder Sutra is a movie about grinders, those long sandwiches that sometimes are called submarine sandwiches as well as other names. The name grinder is specific to southern Rhode Island and, as we discovered, several other pockets around the U.S. And by "we", I mean myself and my brother-in-law, David, who really is the expert behind the project. As a vegetarian, my expertise is limited to the Meatless Grinder. I have had a long campaign to assert that a delicious Meatless is the triumph of triumphs because the ingredients are so few, therefore everything must be absolutely perfect. I have yet to convince anyone of this, but I keep trying.

David and I have spent many hours discussing our project and even, on rare occasion, filming some grinder makers in Westerly, RI, and Pawcatuck, CT. Will the film ever be made? I can't say. But, in the meantime, you can get the t-shirt. Or mug or water bottle. Simply click here.

3 comments:

Karen said...

What a riot! I love local foods and local names for foods. In northern RI, there is a regional picnic food 'Dynamite' which is a close relative to the Sloppy Joe but much better though it seems to be unknown in the rest of the state.

Robyn said...

Thanks for your comment, Maggie! Dynamite, eh? Now I will have to check this out! Rhode Island seem particularly full of special names. Have you encountered the coffee cabinet?

Xxx. Xxxx said...

In southwestern NYS, Maggie's sandwich is called a "loose meat" sandwich. Kind of tasty... albeit loose.