Saturday, February 18, 2012

Deeper

Asheville from the balcony of our hotel.
The good times kept on rolling in Asheville.  It is a place filled with used book stores, yarn shops and organic produce.  At the first bookstore we went into, this was the first book I saw:

I didn't buy it.

The interior of The Grove, an upscale indoor mall type of thing in a former office building.  It was surprisingly lovely.  We hung out in a shop that sold fossils and crystals.  Asheville has a lot of stores that sell crystals.

Our next stop was Meridian, Mississippi.  We stayed in this pink house, which was about five times larger than most of the houses around it.  Finn and Lucy were somewhat embarrassed to be seen entering the building.  

All I knew about Meridian was that it is halfway between Asheville and Dallas and as the home of Oil Can Boyd.  The woman who ran the B&B seemed slightly insulted when I mentioned that this was the fact that came to mind about Meridian.  In actuality, it turned out to be a kind of funky place with an active downtown (a rarity!).  

A cemetery in Meridian.

A cow statue on a trailer, also in Meridian.  I don't know about you, but I would like to ride inside that cow and wave to passers-by.  

Mississippi never disappoints.  It remains my most favourite Southern state.

No comments: