Wednesday, December 19, 2012

MIsh Mash


I am posting this photo for no specific reason other than it is of Colette.  Those with long memories may recall that she invited us to take a snowshoe/spelunking tour of caves outside of Corner Brook two years ago on her 60th birthday.  It was an unforgettable day but time with Colette often ends up in the "unforgettable" category.  She is now in Ontario receiving chemo treatments and seems remarkably upbeat.  She has a strong network of support that spans the globe so I know she has lots and lots of love and healing thoughts beaming down on her.  Let's keep it up!

On a more frivolous note, Lucy went on a tour of a couture wedding dress design house in Manhattan the other day.  Dorina does a lovely job of sharing it here.  Lucy was a bit iffy about going but she was happy to spend time with her friends so she went.  When she returned and I asked all about it, she described the dresses and the process and the expense.  Then she said, "They were beautiful but it's only one day in your life.  I mean, the important thing about getting married isn't the dress or the party, it's the person you are marrying!"  Yello?  Where does this wisdom come from?  For all the teenage angst that has been surging around me - and my dear, it has been surging - this was one of those moments when I told myself that everything is going to be alright.  Even if Lucy is flipping burgers or, more likely given current circumstances, divvying out our daily lentil ration, she will know how to manage her life in a positive manner.  (As an aside, I always think it is a little strange when people say things that indicate that I have done a "good job" as a parent if my children manage to get into to college and find some kind of employment.  I mean, those things come and go, as does happiness itself.  So when is my job finished?  When does it get labelled a success?  Or failure?  I mean, what if they have a terrible mid-life crisis?  Is that (still) my fault?  These questions haunt me.)  In any case, I am always grateful for these glimpses of maturity that signal that whatever happens, both she and Finn will have the good sense to do what needs to be done whenever it needs to be done.  

And from that...a little knitting content.


I may well be the last knitter on the planet to make this scarf - there are nearly 12,000 projects listed on ravelry - and for that reason alone I resisted for years.  Then, when we were in Santa Fe last February, I had a little incident in a yarn store.  I put the bag away when we got home, embarrassed that I, too, had succumbed to Noro's seductive colours and the allure of such a simple but enticing concept.  For months I ignored that bag and it ignored me.  Then, the siren song became louder.  Although I subscribe to Elizabeth Zimmerman's opinion about K1P1 ribbing, the power of these simple-minded but oh-so pleasing colour changes has me happily cranking out oodles of it.  I am sure there is some kind of Zen metaphor in there somewhere - doing this thing that I don't actually enjoy because I just want to see what's coming up ahead - but I can't be bothered to think about it because I am too busy making this annoying ribbing because I just want to see what is coming up ahead.

At least I know that I am not alone in it.



3 comments:

dorinalouise said...

ha ha . . love the scarf! and i agree about not wanting to take credit for any good that my children do, for it implies that i have to take responsibility for any bad . . ? it is haunting . . horribly so . . (isn't it?) . . sending you a hug . . (we just keep doing the best we can . . )

Taos Sunflower said...

Robyn: First, I hope Colette is back on her snowshoes and waiting to take you on another adventure next time you're in Corner Brook. Next...Lucy is clearly light years ahead of some of us, in terms of good sense. (Applause to her from moi.)
Lastly...thanks for reminding me of that scarf. It's a great way to use up yarns, and with Noro is especially rewarding. Your link doesn't work...maybe someone told you already...Good holidays to all of you from your friends in Taos!

Robyn said...

Hey Martie, Thanks for the well wished for Colette. It is very heartening to see the outpouring of love she encourages. And deservedly so!

I fixed (replaced) the link - thanks for letting me know.

And happy, happy holidays to my wonderful friends in Taos! Can you believe it has already been almost a year since our big road trip? When you coming to Newfoundland???