Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Assembly


What this blurry photograph doesn't show, besides just about everything, is that the group who came for my artist talk was really great.  You can kind of get an idea of that by the number of blurry figures who are blurrily crocheting.  They listened politely and they asked great questions, added interesting comments and generally made me feel like it is ok to give an artist talk that is just honest and not about trying to be anything or do anything special.  


What with all that talking and questioning and commenting, we only had a short time for the workshop and a small group of dedicated people who participated.  And that was just exactly right.  They made their own version of Indra's Net using their interactions from the previous 24 hours.  We wove them all together.  

One (of the many) extra bonuses of being part of A Handmade Assembly is that I have been able to take two of the offered workshops.  On Thursday, I did a bookbinding workshop using recycled materials with Sarah Evans.  As I said to Lucy that evening, why don't we do bookbinding more?  It is so fun!  And then - you have a book!   Or, in this case, four books.



On Friday, I did a rug hooking workshop with Alicia Steeves.  Alicia's understated superpowers convinced me that I do, in fact, like rug hooking.  I really like it. 


 And THEN...as if giving a talk, leading a workshop, and participating in a workshop wasn't enough, I was very generously invited to have supper with one of the other artists involved with the Assembly, Anna Torma.  She lives about 1/2 hr. from Sackville.  It was a gorgeous evening and really nice to have the opportunity to see some of New Brunswick beyond the Trans-Canada Highway.  It was even nicer to spend time with Anna and her husband, Ishvan Zsako, who also is an artist.  


How could you add any more to such an experience?  Well...today there is the Heart and Pocket Revue, which is a craft sale.  For me, the highlight is to see the very dear Rilla Marshall.  Rilla used to live in Corner Brook, which is where we met, but she has moved back to her home province of PEI.  She makes the most beautiful weavings and is just a beautiful person all around.  Check out her blog here.

And alright already, I did buy a little hand-dyed yarn.  It was on sale!  Sheesh.




3 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

Hi Robyn - geesh! I come all the way to Labrador and you are a couple of hours away from where I was living! Okay three or four but still. If you are still there and haven't done this - have a chocolate jalapeno gelatto (how do you spell that?) at the great coffee house downtown across from the movie theatre. We are mad for those. I'm loving Labrador and wee tiny North West River to bits. Yesterday I went with my sister-in-law - Anne Budgell - to Goose Bay and the Labrador Craft sale. She was selling her new book 'Dear Everybody' and I was helping her and meeting local artisans. I'm going to a meeting on Wednesday here in NWR of interested types because the Newfoundland Craft Council has killed the Labrador arm of it. ??? I just want to find some women to make things with. We'll see.

Robyn said...

Anne Budgell is your sister in law? Wow!

Sackville is filled with jewels, made from gelato and other things too. I love it there.

Please don't take the Craft Council's actions personally. They have been decimated by the provincial-wide budget cuts and are hanging in there but only just barely, which is really crazy given that craft is one of the major economic forces in Newfoundland right now.

Good luck with your group, however. It is really important to keep it all alive! XOXO

Jan Morrison said...

oh yes, I phrased that badly - buddha knows I didn't mean that THEY killed it - I know it is the insane cuts everywhere but Labrador has so little and hand-made crafts were always such an important part of the culture - the tri-culture of the area. So I will go and be good and not say anything out loud until I can speak without sounding a fool! I love your piece today and I know just what you mean. I remember when I did the Dublin Marathon. We went to a big oompah ralley and the organizers of our group (arthritis fund-raisers) said that this marathon would change our lives! I thought to myself - nope - babies maybe, being with the dying unh huh, hearing a lineage holder speak the dharma definitely - walking for 27 miles - I don't think so!