Thursday, October 11, 2007

Enough is Too Much

In thinking about balancing all the pieces of life, I was reminded of hearing someone, somewhere (my memory is almost gone--it is a terrible thing to lose one's mind, as Dan Quayle once said) say something along the lines of "when you think you know how much is enough, then take less".

Well my dear! This is a pretty radical thing to say in this day and age of more is more. How many times a day do I start a sentence with "I want..." or "I wish..." or even "I"?

Maybe it was a yoga class where the teacher once asked us what it felt like to reach the point where we felt we could go no further. Then go a little further - what does that feel like? Then go less than what we know we can do - what does that feel like? Which one is harder?

No comments: