Monday, March 28, 2011

Last Things

As the clock and calendar barrel forward, we begin to see all our activities as "the last". Today: the last non-electric laundry (no tears about that!). Last skein of yarn plied and last trip to the post office to mail off packages. We are eating up the last items in our fridge, which makes for some strange meals. Last minute phone calls to make, and perhaps I should put the last finishing touches on the talk(s) I am suppose to give. Somehow I keep forgetting about that detail!

We pushed our departure date back by one because the weather has been so fierce. I had padded our schedule for just this reason (anyone who thinks March = spring in Newfoundland has never been here in March). We took advantage of the padding when I checked the marine forecast and discovered that Wednesday night looked distinctly calmer than Tuesday night. What can I say? I am not an easy traveler, especially when it includes boats. We shall not even mention airplanes. The only downside to this plan is that, after taking the overnight ferry to North Syndey and driving six hours to Sackville, I need to be coherent for the roundtable discussion at 7:30 p.m. Yes, I definitely need to work on those notes for the talk...

5 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

Sackville, New Brunswick or Sackville just outside of Halifax?
just saying...
jan, who doesn't live too far from Sackville, NS

Robyn said...

Hey Jan, Sackville, NB. Too bad!! I should post a link the conference blog - it is looking pretty interesting!

dorinalouise said...

wishing you safe travels, robyn. i always have such a difficult time leaving places . . the thought of leaving that cozy igloo you currently have makes me want to curl up in a ball and just sigh . .

Jan Morrison said...

oh well, I'm spending every minute on my revision any who but I do long to meet you in the flesh! Sometime we will...

Jan Morrison said...

Oh, Robyn, if you get a chance go to the wonderful coffe house downtown in Sackville - can't remember the name but all the students and old hippies go there! they make the best gellato in the world!!!