Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Trip to Bountiful

Leaving the cold, wet city of St. John's, I made my way back to the slightly more sunshine-y and warm west coast. I brought with me a nice haul, if I do say so myself.


Here is the inventory at present. What is the total count. I don't know. I am not like that. Over at the ravelry group (which you should join pronto), one person started a running tally of squares. For me, I like the vague optimism of not knowing. It looks like a nice big pile, right?


While in St. John's, I realized that I had underpacked for the weather. I was cold! So I ventured out to Value Village (a chain of second hand stores in Canada) to see if I could find either a rain jacket or heavy sweater. No luck on the clothing front, but I did find two bags of yarn scaps. Here is one.


Here is the second. How could I resist? All this potential granny square magic for under $10.


Speaking of granny square magic, I also found a bag of half-started granny squares. I almost whooped for joy right there in Value Village. Before you say, "But they aren't one colour!" let me assure you that I did notice that fact. But c'mon - a big bag of granny squares for $3? Would you leave it behind? I didn't think so. I will just ignore those center colours and work outward in a single colour.

Flexibility, people. It is all about the flexibility.


Yet, here is one place where I am completely inflexible. I think this colourway is called "Yarn Manufacturer's Delusion". Who, in the name of all that is good and pure about yarn, would think that this is an acceptable colour scheme? No. Not even for so-called Christmas items. Not allowed. Ever.

For all that I love, nay, worship at the feet of yarn, even at times, acrylic yarn...for all of that, I took this yarn and threw it away. And you know what? I believe the world is better for it.

PS. I did find an amazing Dale of Norway-esque, 100% wool with pewter clasps sweater for $5 at the Salvation Army shop down the road. Toasty warm too - just right for August in St. John's.

1 comment:

Mr. Picky said...

Remember, whoever dies with the most pewter clasps wins