Sunday, June 16, 2013

For Colette

November 2011.  Photo by Olive Murphy.
At 8:45 am on Sunday, a huge thunderclap was heard in the Bay of Islands and a surprise hailstorm began.  At that same moment, Colette released her last exhale.  It was only fitting that the heavens should make such a commotion.  Was it a cry of great sadness for what was being lost to this earth?  Or a celebration of all that had come into being during her short time here?

It is impossible to know the depth of Colette's influence on the many, many lives she touched as an artist, teacher, sister, daughter.  I do know that she has been inspiring and encouraging me for over a decade in ways that I can and can not express.  Her sister spoke of how surprised both she and Colette were to see such an outpouring of love when the news got around that she was sick.  It made me sad to think that this could come as a surprise because, while Colette had her share of difficulties in this rough world of ours, she was, as one friend put it, a ten-foot tall YES that came around just when we needed it most.

I had the good fortune to be able to spend time with her almost every other day this past month as her illness took its final form.  This I can say:  she was giving until her last breath.

I miss her so much already.

Thank you, Colette, for everything.


4 comments:

Xxx. Xxxx said...

I'm so sorry, Robyn. Thinking of you. What a beautiful picture! both the photo and the words.

deborah said...

I am very sorry for your loss, Robyn, but happy that were touched by such a great spirit.

seagrrlz said...

Robyn! I just heard of Colette's passing. So sorry to hear. Please pass my condolences on to her family. I'm sorry you lost such a good friend. I'm so glad to have met her.

Taos Sunflower said...

I, also, am sorry you have lost such a wonderful person, but it seems she will live on through all of you whose lives she blessed.