Friday, June 13, 2008

BTW: Do Not Squander Your Life

I am stealing a moment from preparations for a visit to THM from two representatives from the Newfoundland government who are coming by this morning. They are visiting the west coast to talk with craftspeople about issues related to their craft and tourism. They wanted to meet with a group of artisans in the Corner Brook area to talk about ideas related to a conference on that topic they are planning for next spring. Shawn generously suggested that THM would be the appropriate place to meet, given that it is all about culture and tourism, and that I now count myself among the craftspeople on the west coast. I have had to get the place in shape in its THM incarnation to some extent, as well as get my yarn and spinning stuff to look a little less like I have been madly grabbing colours and fibres in my wild-eyed spinning binge. I am not quite finished yet but I think it will be ok. Olive has promised to bring her rhubarb/apple muffins and I have just pulled a lemon blueberry coffee cake from the oven, so we can stun them with baked goods if all else fails.

In the meantime, this is my 200th blog post! It calls for some kind of reflection.

How about this. Called the Evening Gatha, I first noticed it as a little sign that is beautifully written in calligraphy and hung over the entrance to the zendo in Brooklyn where I sit zazen. I have long planned to crochet an antimacassar with the last two lines on it. Time swiftly passes by...

Let me respectfully remind you,
life and death are of supreme importance.
Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost.
Each of us should strive to awaken... awaken...
Take heed.
Do not squander your life.

1 comment:

Xxx. Xxxx said...

That's worthy of poetry mittens, or cutwork embroidery antimacassars, Robyn. Or an elegant tattoo even! (is that an oxymoron?) I find myself wanting to write it on my hands.