Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spindle 7

It has been quite an adventure, these last three days. I am grateful to Marcia for always egging me on for "one more encounter" as we came to call our experiences talking with people about spinning, fleece, wool, life, culture and what-have-you. There have been some beautiful moments.

There is much more to come, but in the meantime, here are some pictures of the last three days (video stills, so they look a little odd):


We met these three men who are Tibetan (raised in India). After some back and forth, I convinced one to try the spindle and it turned out he was a much better spinner than I am! He gave me some helpful pointers. A shocked subway car looked on...


We had gorgeous weather, taken advantage of best on the 61st Street/Woodside station platform.


Spindle 7 reflected in the window...


A woman who gamely tried out the spindle and did quite well. She spun all the way from about 40th Street to Main Street, Flushing. I gave her one of my homemade spindles and some fleece. She seemed very happy about it.


This morning, a small group gathered at 46th Street/Bliss. One by one, we started to spin. Again, a shocked subway car looked on.


This woman was more interested in watching Lucy than talking with me. So much the better!


Janet and her son, Yves, stuck it out for a full ride. Yves was unstoppable! He filled two spindles and, I think, could have kept going.


Spindle 7. Movie coming soon!

3 comments:

Rilla Marshall said...

this is so fantastic Robin! I can't wait to see the video.....
rilla

Taos Sunflower said...

I so wish I could have been part of this. How wonderful the world would be if people in public were spinning instead of loudly talking on their cell phones...

Jan Seymour-Ford said...

I really want to see the video, especially the young Tibetan guy. The teacher becomes the student - how graceful of you, Robyn!