Saturday, March 27, 2010

Unconditional Yes: The Opening

As I sit down to try to sum up the experiences of the last week, I find that I don't really have words to describe what it has been like. First, there was the great unknown of the installation - would it work? would the curtains be the correct size? would anyone contribute? would F&L make it through the long day? Then there was the experience of sitting in the living room each day, talking with people and finishing up various pieces. And there was the two-hour commute each way, each day from Rhode Island to Boston and back.

I have all sorts of thoughts and ideas but they are still swimming around in my head, somewhat incoherently. So, here are some random thoughts and images. There will be more as things fall more into place, I hope.

It was an art marathon. An endurance test of the best kind. A mind-blowing, heart-opening, kick ass experience. All of it.

At the top of the list of amazing things were the students, or as they say, the Simmons women. I love them. It wasn't in the cards that I would ever be a Simmons woman, but I felt like an honorary one for a few days, at least.

Here are some images from the opening.




Cake made by Sarah. Someone more daring than I actually cut into it and it was devoured in the most unconditional of unconditional yeses.

This is John and Terry. John is a friend from my high school days who I have reconnected with via facebook. This was the first time in about 25 years that we had spoken to each other in person. It was such a pleasure to reconnect with him and to meet his partner. Thanks, guys, for the restaurant recommendation - it was perfect.

And, highlights of highlights - the Simmons Concert Choir. Somebody pinch me! But I think it all really happened.




No comments: