Friday, January 01, 2010

Let the Bells Ring Out

And ring in a new year.


This photograph has nothing really to do with the new year except it feels vaguely victorious. It was taken at the end of a long hike in Gros Morne last summer.

I have been reading lots of blog posts and facebook posts with the general theme of "good riddance 2009". I agree that 2009, on a global scale, was pretty awful but I wonder if it actually contained more misery and suffering than usual. Or is it just that more of it came to our shores and knocked on our doors?

Although it is hard for me to switch gears from my get-the-work-done mode that I have been in for the last week, I did do a little reflection on 2009 and, for me personally, it was actually a pretty good year. It was actually a pretty great year. I feel like I should apologize or something for saying such a thing.

In any case, good year or terrible year, the thing is to keep moving forward. The past is gone, the future has yet to occur, so what is left? We have been given the gift of a new year to answer that question. Let me know what you find out.

1 comment:

Taos Sunflower said...

2009 was a good year for me, as well...and thank you for helping me look past all the bad news we're pommeled with every day to see the good. And anyway...I've lost some dear friends who would have loved to have had ANY kind of 2009, so no more complaints from here. Best wishes to you and your family for a great 2010!